Hey there Whatsappers! Most of the Whatsapp users out there still tend to argue with their friends on this “Delivery Report” problem that Whatsapp has. So, Whatsapp has officially stated what they mean by their tick marks here.
- message successfully delivered to the server.
- message successfully delivered to the phone of your chat partner.
Note: this does not indicate that the message was read, just that it was delivered.
Also note that in a group chat you will only see one check mark indicating that the message was successfully delivered to the server.
If you only see a single green check mark next to your message, there is likely nothing wrong with WhatsApp or your phone. There may be several reasons why your message is delivered to the server, but not to your chat partner:
- Their phone might be turned off or their phone’s battery might be dead.
- They could be sleeping, especially if they live in a different time zone.
- They may not be connected to the internet (for example, if they are in an elevator, roaming or have no data credits).
- They might have seen the notification on the screen, but did not launch the app to acknowledge message receipt (very common in case of iPhone recipients).
- They might have blocked you.
Whatsapp Double Tick
So next time you see a double tick mark on your messages remember, that it is only an indication that it has been sent to the notification bar of your contact’s device. We have tested this using different Android devices and here are the results,
Whatsapp may be running in the background of the recipient’s phone even when he/she is away from it. We delivered a message during this time, it still showed a double-tick though the message wasn’t read, so this is a clear indication that the double tick mark only implies that it was delivered to the phone.